Han Roleplay Thread

Post by ann »

For roleplay in Han.
ann
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Han Roleplay Thread

Post by ann »

In a small village in Han, not far from Chengdu, an old woman stood watching her son as he worked on some leather straps. She shook her head in disgust. She ought not to be hauling water from the stream for washing. That ought to be the job of her daughter in law. What else were daughters-in-law for if not to ease the lives of the mothers of sons as their bones grew weak and their backs stooped. But Mei was out in the fields doing the plowing. It was hard going as she was not big enough to push the oddly shaped plow. It was another of Bu's inventions. The old woman shook her head and picked up her bucket to go to the stream.

Her son, Bu, continued working where he was. He was long familiar with his mothers opinions about his work to improve the way they did things around the farm. He knew that life was hard for her and for his wife Mei and he wished to make it better. His hands slipped as he tried to work the leather. Sighing he looked up at the road. There had been a lot of activity recently. Armed men moving to Liu Bang's service. Other men moving away - afraid for war. Bu looked out and wondered whether he should take his family elsewhere but he'd only known this farm and this tiny village.

((Open))
Chou Yu
Lieutenant

Post by Chou Yu »

ann wrote:In a small village in Han, not far from Chengdu, an old woman stood watching her son as he worked on some leather straps. She shook her head in disgust. She ought not to be hauling water from the stream for washing. That ought to be the job of her daughter in law. What else were daughters-in-law for if not to ease the lives of the mothers of sons as their bones grew weak and their backs stooped. But Mei was out in the fields doing the plowing. It was hard going as she was not big enough to push the oddly shaped plow. It was another of Bu's inventions. The old woman shook her head and picked up her bucket to go to the stream.

Her son, Bu, continued working where he was. He was long familiar with his mothers opinions about his work to improve the way they did things around the farm. He knew that life was hard for her and for his wife Mei and he wished to make it better. His hands slipped as he tried to work the leather. Sighing he looked up at the road. There had been a lot of activity recently. Armed men moving to Liu Bang's service. Other men moving away - afraid for war. Bu looked out and wondered whether he should take his family elsewhere but he'd only known this farm and this tiny village.

((Open))
The southern weather was not something that Yu could ever get used to, he decided as he rode on horseback, his bottom sore and his traveling attire clinging to him with sweat. Yang Yu had spotted a small village and decided that he would stop there for rest and refreshment before continuing on his journey to meet the leader of the Han province, Liu Bang. Even after the favorable discussion with Shi Tong, the magistrate of Bei Ping, Yu felt that he had to visit this Liu Bang before making any decision. The conqueror of the Qin capital could very well be the perfect means for Yu's ambition.

In the village, he saw a man working on some leather straps, dismounted and approached the man, leading his horse behind him and a weary look on his face, "Excuse me. Do you care to spare refreshments for a weary traveler?" Yu said, shielding his eyes from the afternoon sun.
ann
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ann »

Hearing the man stop, Bu put down his work and bowed. He looked around quickly for some sign of his mother but she had not yet returned. Bowing again he said, "I'm sorry Lord, but my mother has gone to get water and we have none at the moment. As simple farmers we have no wine." Bowing apologetically Bu watched the man unobtrusively. It was not freezing but January was a cool month and yet this man was sweating. Bu thought he must have come from the far north.

Bowing again Bu said, "The city is not far, Lord, and there are many taverns there." He glanced back at his work. Even with the new plow, or perhaps especially with the new plow, the fields took a long time to prepare. Bu wished to have that complete before the rains of early spring made such work difficult. It was slow going but Bu hoped his newest project would make that simpler.
Chou Yu
Lieutenant

Post by Chou Yu »

Yu bowed his head slightly in acknowledgment of his host's and simply said, "I am no Lord; not yet at least." One day, once his name has rung to the four corners of this land, then will he sport the title of Lord, "Water is all I need my good sir." Yu said politely. Wine clouds the minds of men and makes for forgetting troubles. Troubles need to be solved, not forgotten.

Letting go of the rein of his horse he said with visible relief, "It's good that the city is not far for I am not the most resilient of travelers." Yu did not have the toughness and strength of his younger brother, and furthermore... The traveler shifted his cape, revealing the stump that was his left arm, bandaged cleanly, "I am not the strongest of men, but perhaps if you could point me to where your venerable mother is, I could help her in some way. It is only proper, if I was to drink your water." Yu explained. He believed firmly that you should pay back any good deeds, to do otherwise is to invite evil upon one's self. Furthermore, he loath being in debt with someone.
ann
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ann »

The man's manner was unthreatening and Bu relaxed. Seeing the man's arm distracted him somewhat. He had, years ago, attempted to design a leg for one of his neighbors who had lost his during some horrible battle years ago. But he'd begun too late - his neighbor was quite used to his lack and didn't want to try to use any device.

He shook his head slightly - however gentle the man's manner it would not do to be rude. Before he could indicate the path his mother had taken she made her appearance lugging the bucket of water. He looked toward her and said, "Mother, please bring the water. This traveler has come far and is thirsty." He put down his work and went into the small building and quickly retrieved a cup.

The old woman sped up and bowed several times as she put the bucket down near the door. When Bu returned he carefully filled the cup and presented it to the man.
Chou Yu
Lieutenant

Post by Chou Yu »

Yu was ready to go towards any path that the man would indicate but before he had a chance to, an old woman came into view, carrying a bucket of water. Yu frowned at the sight of such an elderly woman doing work like that. Where were the men? The father? Yu sighed, Most likely dead, with the never ending conflict that plagues these lands... It was conflict that Yu was thankful for, because it provides a chance for him and his brother to demonstrate to the world their talent and abilities; to gain recognition. Nevertheless, Yu could not enjoy seeing first hand the hardships that it creates.

As the elderly woman bowed, Yu became flustered, something that does not happen to him much; he had certain thoughts on the elderly however, in that they should be respected with every ounce of one's body, "Please, there's no need!" Yu bowed at the old woman, deeper than she had for him. When the man came back with the cup, Yu gratefully took it and emptied half of it in the first gulp. Then, turning towards his benefactor he said with a serious tone, "Where are the men? And what are you doing that your mother is required to work so?" Yu asked pointedly.
ann
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ann »

The old woman grinned at seeing her son insulted so. Then she felt guilty for carrying water was always woman's work. She bowed and, before her son could speak, said, "Women carry water here - always have! My daughter-in-law has started plowing earlier this season. His new plow is harder to pull for the horse..makes it choke..so she has to do it herself with my grandson guiding the plow."

Bu hung his head. He was unsure what to say to the Lord's questions. He was a man after all but clearly not one to the Lord. Perhaps the Lord meant nobility though, of course, they wouldn't do women's work either. When his mother had finished 'defending' him he said simply, "The Soldiers and Officers are in the city, sir. Here we do farm work."
Chou Yu
Lieutenant

Post by Chou Yu »

Yu looked at the mother as she spoke defending her son, distressed that she was bowing yet again. A new plow that's harder to use? Why invent such a counterproductive thing? Jia wondered. A curious look passed across his face however. It was rare for peasants to have enough motivation to actually try something new, yet alone invent a new contraption. Yu have always looked down on simple peasants, despite him being basically one almost all of his life. The peasants he used to see were those that seemed defeated, only trying to survive though life without any attempt to make things better. So to meet one here brought a tiny smile on his face.

Waving his hand to the side impatiently, Yu addressed the son, "I meant where is your father? Have you no siblings?" Before waiting for an answer however, Yu continued, "Nevermind that. I'm interested in this new plow you've made. Why make it if it's harder to use?" Yu asked pointedly.
ann
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ann »

"My father died sir, I do not know what illness it was that took him away. He did not linger long but no others caught it." He looked down as he spoke, Bu had been close to his father. "I have no brothers, sir." He'd had brothers once but none lived past childhood - many illnesses came to the village.

He looked to the field and then said, "The plow is harder to pull but it will, if I can make a harness which will not choke the air from the horses lungs, make the fields much faster to plow. I changed it somewhat to cut the sod and turn it as it makes the pass. But when we first tried it with the horse - we've no Ox anymore and are lucky to have a swayback horse - I discovered that the weight of the plow in the hard earth is too much around the horse's neck. I think I can fix it." He nodded at the leather as if that explained everything.