Hann Roleplay Thread

Moderator: Game Masters

Cao Chao
Marquis
Location: That which is unknown and unseen always commands the greatest fear.

Re: Hann Roleplay Thread

Post by Cao Chao »

Ying Ranzhen won the Battle for Yangdi, though a sizable portion of the defending army had escaped. Marching his troops into the city, Zhang Liang knew that the its new ruler needed some time to calm the populace. The next day, the elderly scholar dispatched an attendant into the city, requesting a one on one meeting with Ying Ranzhen on a hill on the outskirts of the city.

Setting up a pair of mats and a table, Zhang Liang waited patiently. His bodyguard, Huai Leng kept a close eye on the city of Yangdi. If Ying Ranzhen came alone as asked, the meeting would be held. If he did not, then Zhang Liang would depart immediately and continue on his journey.
Radical Dreamer
Imposter!

Post by Radical Dreamer »

In the late afternoon sun, several figures could be seen separating from the flow of peasantry going in and out of the city. The largest shape turned out to be a carriage with a large traveling umbrella spread over the top while the next-largest was a single horseman in gleaming armor, wielding a poleaxe. The general was dressed in the earthy colors of Yangdi and his horse followed the carriage closely, going to and fro as they traveled, looking for threats.

Upon the small hill Zhang Liang had chosen as his meeting place, the carriage stopped. Zhang Ban reigned in his horse and dismounted, but he only stood a little bit to the side as his master, the new ruler of Yangdi, stepped down onto the grass. With his white-and-khaki robes flowing behind him, the young ruler approached the meeting site.

"Master Zhang Liang," Ranzhen greeted, bowing politely, "It was both a surprise and an honor to receive your invitation. I was not aware that you still resided in Hann - I would have imagined that you would have remained in Han with King Liu."
Kubali Dun 90*-76-35-68-23
Aid II, Qiangshu II, Sortie III*, Military Administrator II, Discipline II, Dash I
Cao Chao
Marquis

Post by Cao Chao »

Radical Dreamer wrote:In the late afternoon sun, several figures could be seen separating from the flow of peasantry going in and out of the city. The largest shape turned out to be a carriage with a large traveling umbrella spread over the top while the next-largest was a single horseman in gleaming armor, wielding a poleaxe. The general was dressed in the earthy colors of Yangdi and his horse followed the carriage closely, going to and fro as they traveled, looking for threats.

Upon the small hill Zhang Liang had chosen as his meeting place, the carriage stopped. Zhang Ban reigned in his horse and dismounted, but he only stood a little bit to the side as his master, the new ruler of Yangdi, stepped down onto the grass. With his white-and-khaki robes flowing behind him, the young ruler approached the meeting site.

"Master Zhang Liang," Ranzhen greeted, bowing politely, "It was both a surprise and an honor to receive your invitation. I was not aware that you still resided in Hann - I would have imagined that you would have remained in Han with King Liu."
"I was instructed by the Hegemonic King to accompany Lord Han Cheng to Chu . . . to serve as his chief minister," replied the strategist, shaking his head, "Unfortunately Lord Han disappeared mere days after we reached Chen. From that point on . . . I knew full well that the possibility of war would return. As a result, I chose to return to Hann, to keep an eye on my homeland. But alas . . . I am once again powerless to stop and affect the wave of change that is now affecting my homeland." Zifang heaved a sighed and dabbed at the corners of his eyes with a handkerchief.

"But regardless of why I am here in Hann," stated Zhang Liang after he composed himself. Flashing an amused smile, he regarded Ranzhen, as he continued. "I am quite amused that a scion of the Qin ruling family was able to inveigh a veritable army from the hands of Xiang Yu, the Hegemonic King of Western Chu . . . the man who destroyed Qin, annihilated the direct Qin royal line and finally sacked and destroyed Xianyang."
Radical Dreamer
Imposter!

Though Zhang Ban gripped his poleaxe tighter, Ranzhen only glanced back at his coach - it was far enough away that the driver could not overhear the conversation.

"You are as well-informed as your reputation would suggest, Master Zhang. However, do not make the mistake in thinking I hate Xiang Yu." The young man let out a small sigh and sat down on the small mat that had already been put out. Zhang, as redoubtable as always, stood close at hand. "The Hegemon King earned my respect and gratitude when he destroyed the perversion of the Qin. Ying Huhai, the fat fool, destroyed all that the First Emperor had sacrificed and fought for. He squandered our country and the people of Qin allowed it to happen. They deserved to have the capital purged through fire and steel as a lesson. As to the royal line, Xiang Yu could destroy that no more thoroughly than Huhai and his creatures did."

The young man's countenance noticeably fell as he talked about the Qin and Xiang Yu. "In a way, Xiang Yu reminds me of the First Emperor. Though, I do not think he has the mind to unite the kingdoms for the good of the people - perhaps he is too entrenched in the idea of a Chu hegemony? Regardless, I am not planning a great rebellion, if that is what you are thinking. I will work to recreate the Qin on my own terms and truly implement the true vision of Master Shang Yang. The Second Emperor was where my enmity lied, not with Xiang Yu. I am simply pleased to start my great undertaking in a historic city such as Yangdi. The people here are truly hardy and industrious; they remind me much of the people of Sai, before Huhai's abuses sapped them of their spirits."
Aid II, Qiangshu II, Sortie III*, Military Administrator II, Discipline II, Dash I
Cao Chao
Marquis

Post by Cao Chao »

Radical Dreamer wrote:Though Zhang Ban gripped his poleaxe tighter, Ranzhen only glanced back at his coach - it was far enough away that the driver could not overhear the conversation.

"You are as well-informed as your reputation would suggest, Master Zhang. However, do not make the mistake in thinking I hate Xiang Yu." The young man let out a small sigh and sat down on the small mat that had already been put out. Zhang, as redoubtable as always, stood close at hand. "The Hegemon King earned my respect and gratitude when he destroyed the perversion of the Qin. Ying Huhai, the fat fool, destroyed all that the First Emperor had sacrificed and fought for. He squandered our country and the people of Qin allowed it to happen. They deserved to have the capital purged through fire and steel as a lesson. As to the royal line, Xiang Yu could destroy that no more thoroughly than Huhai and his creatures did."

The young man's countenance noticeably fell as he talked about the Qin and Xiang Yu. "In a way, Xiang Yu reminds me of the First Emperor. Though, I do not think he has the mind to unite the kingdoms for the good of the people - perhaps he is too entrenched in the idea of a Chu hegemony? Regardless, I am not planning a great rebellion, if that is what you are thinking. I will work to recreate the Qin on my own terms and truly implement the true vision of Master Shang Yang. The Second Emperor was where my enmity lied, not with Xiang Yu. I am simply pleased to start my great undertaking in a historic city such as Yangdi. The people here are truly hardy and industrious; they remind me much of the people of Sai, before Huhai's abuses sapped them of their spirits."
Zifang snorted at the mention of Shang Yang, while he poured both of them cups of fine wine. "Shang Yang was an interesting man, a capable man," replied the scholar, shaking his head, "He transformed the backwater state of Qin into the preeminent power in the Middle Kingdom. But the cost was terrible. And at the end, it was only befitting that it was the very same laws that Shang Yang promulgated that ultimately led to his death."

"Through the Legalism that Shang Yang institutionalized," continued Zhang Liang, downing the contents of his cup and pouring himself another. "The Qin became the symbol of of the wanton cruelties of Legalism. You may be able to rule your own countrymen, used to the laws of the Qin . . . but what about the millions who are ill-used to the cruel and unusual punishments of Legalism? As a young man I met in my travels would've undoubtedly stated, it is a useful tool perhaps in times of war, but in times of peace, it will only lead to everlasting rebellion and unrest. Be careful, Young Master Ying . . . it was not merely the actions of Huhai and Zhao Gao that doomed the Qin . . . but also the savage and brutish laws."
Radical Dreamer
Imposter!

"I would have to disagree about the meaning of Master Shang's death - it was fitting, but not in the way you suggest," Ranzhen countered, taking the tea with a polite nod of gratitude. After taking a sip, he continued, "Shang Yang's death showed the true beauty of legalism: no one is above the law. Though, in that case, it worked for those that did not appreciate it, in death Shang Yang was the ultimate example of the code he set. It was a good death that proved even someone as high-ranking as himself was beholden to the law."

"As to the cruelty of legalism, I must agree. During the time of Shang Yang, and up to the First Emperor, there was a need for cruelty. Any trace of regionalism had to be crushed for the good of the state. If a caring approach was taken, would the people have consented to a standardized language or measurements? I think not. What destroyed the Qin was the death of the First Emperor: Huhai did not have the stomach nor the stones to stay the course. He left it up to his ministers, cruel creatures who could no more comprehend goodness and equality than a bird could eat a snake. If they had acted as ministers should, and corrected Huhai's faults, neither of us would be having this conversation."

"Ultimately, though, I cannot emulate the First Emperor for he was a man beholden of a vision for this land that does not possess me," Ranzhen admitted. He shifted, smoothing out the lines in his robes. "Where he was armor, I am silk; molten iron to water. If I cannot force the people to become one, then I shall convince them. Though I am acting as a Chu governor, I fully intend to allow the people of Hann to celebrate their diversity while trying to paint them the larger picture. It is our diversity, I think, that can truly make us into a strong and unified state: a country born of thousands upon thousands of personalities, backgrounds, and cultures. I contend that we are one people, only divided by our suspicions and mutual dislike of one another. If the people do not feel they are losing their cultural identity, I can simply add a stronger one atop it. Perhaps allow each kingdom to keep its unique identity, but also consider itself part of a larger whole. Of course, laws that ensure equality between these parts, as well as a common language, writing system, and measurements of commerce will be needed. That is my reconciliation between the Warring Kingdoms and the legalism of Qin."

"Tell me, Master Zhang, are my words muddled or can you see the picture I wish to paint?"
Cao Chao
Marquis

Post by Cao Chao »

Radical Dreamer wrote:"I would have to disagree about the meaning of Master Shang's death - it was fitting, but not in the way you suggest," Ranzhen countered, taking the tea with a polite nod of gratitude. After taking a sip, he continued, "Shang Yang's death showed the true beauty of legalism: no one is above the law. Though, in that case, it worked for those that did not appreciate it, in death Shang Yang was the ultimate example of the code he set. It was a good death that proved even someone as high-ranking as himself was beholden to the law."

"As to the cruelty of legalism, I must agree. During the time of Shang Yang, and up to the First Emperor, there was a need for cruelty. Any trace of regionalism had to be crushed for the good of the state. If a caring approach was taken, would the people have consented to a standardized language or measurements? I think not. What destroyed the Qin was the death of the First Emperor: Huhai did not have the stomach nor the stones to stay the course. He left it up to his ministers, cruel creatures who could no more comprehend goodness and equality than a bird could eat a snake. If they had acted as ministers should, and corrected Huhai's faults, neither of us would be having this conversation."

"Ultimately, though, I cannot emulate the First Emperor for he was a man beholden of a vision for this land that does not possess me," Ranzhen admitted. He shifted, smoothing out the lines in his robes. "Where he was armor, I am silk; molten iron to water. If I cannot force the people to become one, then I shall convince them. Though I am acting as a Chu governor, I fully intend to allow the people of Hann to celebrate their diversity while trying to paint them the larger picture. It is our diversity, I think, that can truly make us into a strong and unified state: a country born of thousands upon thousands of personalities, backgrounds, and cultures. I contend that we are one people, only divided by our suspicions and mutual dislike of one another. If the people do not feel they are losing their cultural identity, I can simply add a stronger one atop it. Perhaps allow each kingdom to keep its unique identity, but also consider itself part of a larger whole. Of course, laws that ensure equality between these parts, as well as a common language, writing system, and measurements of commerce will be needed. That is my reconciliation between the Warring Kingdoms and the legalism of Qin."

"Tell me, Master Zhang, are my words muddled or can you see the picture I wish to paint?"
"Shang Yang died not because of any real crimes that he committed," replied the elderly gentleman, shaking his head, replacing the cup onto the table, "But because of the enmity that he had engendered during his administration of Qin during the reign of Duke Xiao . . . The matter pertained to his handling of the case of murder by the Crown Prince of Qin named Si that also affected the fates of Prince Qian, the Duke's elder adopted brother, and the Crown Prince's tutor, Gongsun Gu. The Crown Prince was exiled for some decades before he was permitted to return, while both Prince Qian and Gongsun Gu were mutilated with the former being sent into exile as well. Though he could survive with the protection of Duke Xiao, Shang Yang could not hope to escape the wrath of Prince Qian and of Crown Prince Si when he became King of Qin."

"Shang Yang's death does not show that no one is above the law," continued Zhang Liang as he poured more wine for the two of them, "Instead, it shows that the law can be manipulated and distorted . . . For Shang Yang, the most loyal and perhaps one of the greatest ministers of the Warring States Period, he was charged with treason, a charge wholly unwarranted. An innocent man can be framed and die at the connivance of those in power. Even a man as powerful as Shang Yang, the very same man who created and institutionalized Legalism in Qin, could not escape the manipulation of his own creation."

"For the sake of my fellow countrymen, I will remain in Hann," concluded the famed strategist after several long moments of thought, considering Ying Ranzhen's words. "I shall assist you . . . to serve under you whilst I verify the veracity of your statements and test the strength of your convictions. In return, I will require free passage to come and go as I please through your lands. Because of my reputation and as a result of it, my responsibilities, I will be forced to travel often. Do you accept my condition?"
Radical Dreamer
Imposter!

Ranzhen considered the proposal for a moment and nodded. "As long as your business does not interfere with the defense of Hann, I consent. I shall give you the rank of Chief Aide and allow you to choose a residence within the capital. You will have duties, as any other officer, but I will keep your travel restrictions in mind when assigning them. I shall not ask you to oversee a town or city in the future, should you wish it. You may also elect to keep your bodyguard for protection and I will allow you to take a small cabal of Hann troops on your jaunts for further protection and aid."

He gratefully took the wine refill and drank deeply - it was rather humid out. "As to Shang Yang, I was referring to his attempted escape. Not even he could circumvent his own identification laws, thus he was captured. The actions leading to his betrayal are examples of legalism not fully inundating the state, in my opinion. Those men would be working for the good of the state and the society if they were true legalists, never turning against another in jealousy; the power of the nobility that influenced the King would have also been curtailed. I shall strive to not make the same mistakes as Master Shang, I think."

"There is actually a duty I wish for you to preform now, if it is convenient: I wish to be introduced to the King of Han, Liu Bang. Our states are close enough that tension could erupt, especially considering the King's feelings after the fall of the Qin. I wish to avoid any misunderstandings and, perhaps, bring him back into Chu political life. If further hostilities were to break out, Hann would be at the forefront considering out placement. Would you accompany me to Nanzheng?"
Cao Chao
Marquis

Post by Cao Chao »

Radical Dreamer wrote:Ranzhen considered the proposal for a moment and nodded. "As long as your business does not interfere with the defense of Hann, I consent. I shall give you the rank of Chief Aide and allow you to choose a residence within the capital. You will have duties, as any other officer, but I will keep your travel restrictions in mind when assigning them. I shall not ask you to oversee a town or city in the future, should you wish it. You may also elect to keep your bodyguard for protection and I will allow you to take a small cabal of Hann troops on your jaunts for further protection and aid."

He gratefully took the tea refill and drank deeply - it was rather humid out. "As to Shang Yang, I was referring to his attempted escape. Not even he could circumvent his own identification laws, thus he was captured. The actions leading to his betrayal are examples of legalism not fully inundating the state, in my opinion. Those men would be working for the good of the state and the society if they were true legalists, never turning against another in jealousy; the power of the nobility that influenced the King would have also been curtailed. I shall strive to not make the same mistakes as Master Shang, I think."

"There is actually a duty I wish for you to preform now, if it is convenient: I wish to be introduced to the King of Han, Liu Bang. Our states are close enough that tension could erupt, especially considering the King's feelings after the fall of the Qin. I wish to avoid any misunderstandings and, perhaps, bring him back into Chu political life. If further hostilities were to break out, Hann would be at the forefront considering out placement. Would you accompany me to Nanzheng?"
"He did not die because of any crime he actually committed, Lord Ying," replied Zhang Liang, heaving a sigh at the man's words, "He died because he offended the wrong people . . . How can he expect to live when he forced the King to experience decades of hardship as a homeless vagrant and for mutilating King's uncle, also the commander of the military? Furthermore, when it comes to it . . . when a lord wants a vassal to die . . . a vassal has no alternative but to die. Shang Yang died . . . and though his laws remained . . . his death showed just how easily laws can be manipulated by those in power to satisfy their own agendas."

"Very good," stated Zifang, as Ying Ranzhen accepted his conditions. He frowned when the man offered an addendum. "I am sure that can be arranged . . . though I think that your concerns are unwarranted. The King of Han would rather use diplomacy first rather than the iron fist. Plus given the state of his armies . . . it may be some time before he marches forth from Ba-Shu."
Radical Dreamer
Imposter!

"The King marched south with thirty thousand men and he has had three months to bolster those forces. Even though he may not move so soon, it would be best to introduce myself before he decides to. There is also the matter that Liu Bang was understandably angry with Xiang Yu when he left and we answer to the Hegemon King. I wish to assure the King of Han that we were not placed in Hann to threaten him."

Ranzhen rose to his feet and brushed off his robes, picking any grass or dirt that could have gotten on the silk. "I will allow you to settle in before we leave, but I would rather visit before the month is up. There will be light work waiting for you in the administration complex, I'll have an office appropriated for you, but it shall not be too time consuming." The young man smiled pleasantly and bowed. "Welcome to Yangdi, Master Zhang. May we both serve the people of Hann with loyalty and distinction.