Jiaodong Provincial Roleplay

Moderator: Game Masters

Phailak
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Jiaodong Provincial Roleplay

Post by Phailak »

Chou Yu wrote:Yang Yu was taken aback. The usual response to his bragging was a roll of the eyes or perhaps a frown! However...This man had taken it and had praised him in turn. Uncertain, he replied, "We- well of course it was exemplary work! Nothing but the best from me!" Yang Yu said, strangely defensive as if the man's acknowledgment of his lofty words was more of a challenge than any response that he had gotten before.

He looked at the notes that stood in front of him and could not hide an being impressed by what he saw. If nothing else, the man was an excellent scribe. Though incomplete, Yu could already see the merit that was held in the words written in the notes. Looking up at the Prefect he said grudgingly, "Your work... It's not bad... Not at all." Yang Yu said, then he waved his hand as if dismissing something and said, "Pshaw! My previous battles were not challenging at all. I barely had to exert my learning to soundly beat my enemies. The future however... I know treading forward I'll find much worthier foes. That is when my true skill will shine, that is when I will have to employ all of my wit, cunning, and learning and of course, come out on top." Yang Yu grinned.

Searching Fei Lai's expression he commented, "You on the other hand... Just recently you fought a challenging battle, one against Li Jiacheng's forces. Your victory was quite spectacular I heard... Your command exceptional as you send your tirade on to the enemy ranks..." If there was one thing that Yu respected it was ability... And if what he heard was correct, the man in front of him had plenty of it.
Lai shook his head.

"You are too modest, the best battles are the ones were your losses are kept at a minimum. You say weak foes, I say you were too strong for them. Though I was not present, I have studied what little reports I was able to acquire, as I do of every battle in the land."

Lai did bow at the praise however.

"The Wu rebel is indeed resourceful and his command of his men impressive. In the end, we were able to exploit an obvious flaw in his battle strategy and could of achieved similar results with less men. I describe his error in chapter 12... wait, I saw it before, ah yes over here."

Passing over the few pages, Lai continued.

"Had I the luxury, I would beg to be able to study under you in your next battle. Unfortunately, my time and loyalties have taken away any freedom I may have. I often struggle between my love and passion for the battlefield and my thirst and yearning to learn and study."

Taking another portion of his work, Lai shoved it forth, passion evident in his rushed movements. It was exhilarating to have someone that could actually follow his thoughts, let alone debate on various delicacies of their positions.

"I try to establish here... here and over here, a formula or some way to indicate when a Commander in charge of supporting the main army can directly involve himself in tactics. You see, men like you and I are able to follow the flow of battle and determine when to strike, when to fall back, when to support. But I wish to be able to impart that knowledge to others, to find a way so that they can be ready for such experiences. There is a danger for a Commander to execute his own ploys in certain circumstances, as you know. Anyone can say you should send in your own unit to confuse your opponent when your morale is high and your men fresh. The art comes into play when you have lost the first two clashes but still need to win the day, can you determine if sending in your own men is worth the risk or do you let your sub units try and take the field while you defend?"

While he spoke, Lai called for some wine. He hoped he could keep his guest, which in fact was really his host's attention.
Chou Yu
Lieutenant

Post by Chou Yu »

Yang Yu thought about what the man had said about his battles. True enough, there was a certain glory in being able to achieve victory with minimal casualties. Yang Yu did more than that. None under his command had died in his conquests. Not one. However, even if Yu was prone to delusions about his own ability, even he knows that the only reason that's so is because all of their enemies had focused their efforts on the front lines, not paying any heed of the support army. As well as they didn't... They would've found the army under Yang Yu's command hard to crack.

Yu shook his head at the mentioning of the man studying under him. In a rare case of modesty he said, "I am not the best yet." he started, "I still learn everyday to become a better commander. One day, without fail, the time will come when I will be hailed as the best commander of this era. But until that day comes, I am not fit to study under." Then he grinned, "You say your passion for the battlefield disrupts your yearning to learn. Yet, is not the best way to learn is by doing? True, the stakes are high, but you get out of a battle what you cannot from mere books alone. The experience I say is a valuable learning tool."

Then Yu frowned at the documents, thinking of what the Prefect said about the choices. "I see your dilemma... For us, in the midst of battle we would be able to make the decision easily and without a doubt. However, there are many things that goes into consideration. Our morale, the enemies commanders and generals, the capabilities of the officers under us. Many things to factor in, like how orderly our own troops are, how effective would the ploy be if we perform it in our current state..."

Looking at the foreign general he asked, "What would you say is the better way to scribe a book of strategies? To exhaust all possibilities and situations or to give one formula in which the reader would derive from and apply to different conditions?"
Phailak
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Phailak »

Lai was getting excited and did not take note of the wine he kept drinking.

"At first I thought maybe too much detail would bore the reader and perhaps flood his mind with too much information. Then I thought to myself, I don't want just any fool to be able to grasp the concepts I include in the strategies I detail, so I went to the other extreme and include all I can think of. The formulas I try to include so that the reader can mentor others under him."

Lai's cheeks flushed with the drink, he was very weak physically, it did not take much.

"I would be honored to serve under you... perhaps once my business is concluded against the southern rebel, I can convince Lord Ma to come and offer our assistance to your King. Then I can witness your glory and learn with you, perhaps write an account of your conquest..."

The scholar had a daydreaming look in his eye as he sighed once more under the renewed thoughts of his present predicament.
Chou Yu
Lieutenant

Post by Chou Yu »

Yang Yu nodded, his eyes intent on the documents in front of him. It made sense... The strategies should not be so simple that any commoner can understand its content. It should be advanced, requiring preliminary knowledge to understand. Then looking up at his conversation partner he noted with a frown that the Prefect was tipsy. Yang Yu himself have not touched the wine that was provided for him. However, he felt that it would be rude to not drink while his guest did so vehemently. Slowly he raised the cup to his mouth and drink a few sips before putting the cup down rather carelessly on the wooden table. His eyes searched those of his guest's. While his proclamation that he would like to serve under Yu served to stroke his desperate ego, the Supreme Commander wasn't used to adoration or even acknowledgment. From the commoners perhaps, but not from individuals like that in front of him.

However, he said, "I would be honored in turn, to have you serve under me if it comes to that. I am sure that our King will welcome Lord Ma Dieu's assistance. Our two forces started off a bit strained, but I am sure we can forge a good relationship for the future." Yu responded favorably, "When the time comes, I hope I can also learn from you. It would speed my ascent to being the best commander of the era, I think." Yu said unabashed by the bold statement. He took another sip of his wine, careful to not drink too much as it would adle his mind.
Phailak
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Phailak »

Lai bowed his head, which hung a bit longer than was accustomed, most likely due to the wine.

"Ah, so despite all these well laid plans and strategies, I do not seem any closer to solving the problem that is that Wu rebel. Any advice Supreme Commander?"

Lai took another sip and made an effort to open his eyes widely, as if to stave off sleep and the effects of the wine.
Chou Yu
Lieutenant

Post by Chou Yu »

Yang Yu frowned at the elder's trouble, namely Wu. The situation did not look good for Ma Dieu's force. "Ah... You are not in a good position in this... What with Duke's Zhefu betrayal in taking Jiaoxi, you are now between a lion and a dragon, both who desires to see you and your Lord be wiped off the map, I'd think." Yu rubbed his chin as he said this, the gears in his head running, "However... You and your lord aren't the only one that does not want to see Li Jiancheng come out the victor. Many around him will worry that if you would fall, then the Lord of Wu will turn his attention to one of them." Taking a small sip of his wine he continued, "There is of course, Lord Ma Su and Lord Hin Wu, both who had came to your aid in the past. However, in the south there lies Shen Feng and the sword bearer, Xiang Jun." Yu pointed out, "Why not convince them to invade Huainan? Tell them that it's the best time to do so for the lord of Wu is preoccupied with your own force. By doing this, it will force Li Jiancheng to split his force and resources."
Phailak
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Phailak »

Lai smiled at the suggestion.

"We do not have the silver tongue needed to convince others, our influence is waning with each month's struggles and all the southern Lords have plans of their own. It is really a bad predicament, but such is our fate it seems. We will do what we can and hope it is enough when the time comes for the rebel to face someone that has the same access to resources as he does. We were optimistic at first since we had the support of the Chu court, but I predict bad things for the empire in Chu..."

More wine, more shadows dancing across Lai's eyes...
Chou Yu
Lieutenant

Post by Chou Yu »

Yang Yu frowned at the Prefect's answer, his cup motionless in hand.

"Are they not, as you are, vassals of Chu? I have heard of the trouble in the Chu court..." Trouble was an understatement. Xiang Yu had kicked out his Prime Minister and Emperor. Not long after, some bandits attacked their entourage and killed the Son of Heaven. "...I can see how that can cause issues for the feelings and relationships of Chu's vassals." He took another sip of his wine. He'd have to stop soon, his head was getting tipsy, "However, surely you can make them understand the danger that Wu possess to them and that this is the best time to strike?" Yu asked, wondering if they had even attempted it.

After a few moments of silence, "Otherwise... There is a time in every man's life when he is faced with a choice to run away, or to laugh at the face of poor odds and turn his fate around. It may soon be a choice you have to make."
Phailak
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Phailak »

Lai laughed.

"We have tried but I believe the Wu rebel is feared. No one dare strike against him despite the fact that all his forces are engaged in a bitter battle against us. I fear for the land when two such obvious rebels are allowed free reign to gain so much power and even sack cities as they please. In the meantime, the Chu armies grow fat off their grain with soldiers numbered in the hundreds of thousands..."

The wine was speaking now but Lai cared little either way. He had never been a Chu man, his brother Dieu being the one that had loyalties with them.

"It is one thing to expand your influence and seize cities as your King has done from incompetent fools, it is quite another to defy Chu generals that were given the mandate to secure the land."

Shaking his head, Lai continued to drown his sorrows in his wine, though it seemed that he was not so drunk as he was depressed.
Chou Yu
Lieutenant

Post by Chou Yu »

Yang Yu scoffed at the thought of fearing the forces of Wu. Patience and care he could understand, even though Yu was one for bold decisive actions. Cowardice on the other hand... "A pity that their weak hearts prevented them to strike at Wu at such an opportune moment. You reap what you sow... These men, one day they shall regret not challenging Wu."

Yu sneered at the mention of mandate and said, "Heh, I care not for mandates, whether it be from the self proclaimed Hegemon King nor the Heavens itself. I suspect many "vassals" of Chu are only using it and Xiang Yu as a stepping stone to fulfill their respective ambitions. Is your lord Ma Dieu not like that? Or does he actually believe Xiang Yu to be his rightful Hegemon King?" Yu asked rather brashly.