Yong Provincial Roleplay

Post by ann »

For roleplay in Yong.
ann
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Yong Provincial Roleplay

Post by ann »

Along the road to Feiqiu an old man trudged along with an oddly shaped pack on his back. He shivered as he walked and coughed frequently. There were not many travelers about but those who did see the man avoided him. He'd been walking for many days and it had taken a heavy toll on his already frail old body. But, he was determined to get to Feiqiu. He had made a promise and intended to see it through.

It seemed like weeks but it had been only a few days since he had left his master's home. Old Jin shook his head to clear the fog from his brain but the motion only started him coughing. He staggered and fell.

((Open))
Shizai
Officer

Post by Shizai »

Shen Liao had only recently arrived in Yong Province, following rumors of a man that peaked his interest. Traveling along the roads casually, he passed by the old man who nearly collapsed in the middle of the street. Seeing that no one seemed to care to assist him, Liao walked over to where the man had fallen and took a knee down next to him, offering his hand.

"Are you all right, sir? Allow me to help you."
Shen Liao (24, M) 56-18-79-41-104*
Diplomat III, Politician II, Public Planner II, Rally II

Official King Sexy of Warlords - 6 months running
ann
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ann »

The old man groaned with pain and shivered with fever. He opened his eyes slightly and, seeing the man who had spoken to him, tried to pull himself up. It wouldn't do, thought old Jin to himself, for an old peasant to lie and be helped by one dressed as this man was. But, to his shame, he could not gain his feet and the movement started a fit of coughing.

When he could speak he said, "Forgive me sir, for stopping your travel! I am old and unwell but I have promised my master to take this package to his son in Feiqiu." Old Jin began to cough again especially as he thought of his Master's son, something of a dissapointment to his master but family was family after all.
Shizai
Officer

Post by Shizai »

Liao shook his head, slowly trying to help the old man back up on his feet. "It's a small thing, venerable master. A few minutes is naught in the grand spectrum of a man's life. Besides, a man in your condition should not be left so unattended."

Liao noticed the unusually-shaped backpack the man was wearing, pondering to himself for a moment. "A package, you say? How long is the journey from here to Feiqiu? Perhaps I may be able to assist you with this task in some way, if I can. In your current state I would think there is legitimate concern for your well-being if you were to continue this trip. I mean no disrespect, but perhaps you should take the opportunity to rest."

ann
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ann »

The old man's heart leapt and then he felt shame. He had sworn to his dying master to undertake this task and it must be completed. However he was so ill he did not believe he would be able to complete it himself and, if he died here alone, it would never be completed. He could not even write some message in the dirt to ask that it be completed. But to ask help from one so far above him was shameful as it was shameful to be unable to complete his work.

As his body was wracked by another bout of coughing he made his decision. His duty was to see the task done and if that meant asking for help he must do so.
Gathering himself he said, "It is an heirloom of my Master's family. He is dying - perhaps he is dead." As he said this the old man knew that it was true. His master could not have survived long after he left the estate. "He has a son in Feiqiu. They did not get along well.... I do not understand .." He did, however, the master's son was something of a wastrel. After a pause he continued, "I must take this to him. It was his father's last wish."
Shizai
Officer

Post by Shizai »

Whatever concern the old man seemed to have for rank between the two men was clearly not shared by Liao. He listened intently to the man's story and nodded to him, a look of remorse on his face. "I'm sorry to hear about your master. The family you serve seems to have many trials and tribulations on its hands. You possess great willpower for making a journey of this caliber, especially in your current state."

He placed a hand carefully on the old man's shoulder and gave him a very subtle smile. "Let me help you, friend. If my bearings are correct, my travels take me in the direction of Feiqiu as it stands. If your master has indeed passed away, then I mourn for your loss. If you worry he may scold you, I suggest you take the opportunity to find shelter and tend to your well-being for the remaining amount of time it would normally take for you to get to Feiqiu and back from this location. Your master will be none the wiser to your time of absence, and your task will have been completed. I will even send you a letter to inform you when the delivery is successful."

Liao paused for a moment, realizing that he would need to know who to look for on all sides of the situation. "I apologize for introducing myself to you earlier. My name is Shen Liao, a traveler hailing from Chu Province. May I ask your name, sir, and the names of your master and his son? Should you choose to entrust me with this task, I will need to know who to seek."

ann
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ann »

The old man felt great relief at the kindness of the stranger. He said, "I need no letter, Sir, I cannot imagine one such as you would fail to carry out any task you undertake!" He coughed again after this speech and then carefully removed the backpack. Gathering his strength again he said, "My master is Lord Lun Tan, he has an estate a few hours walk from here - to the east. His son Lun Qian is in the city. I understand he is well known but he lives in home near the temple gardens. They are very beautiful"

The old man began to cough again. He felt, though, as if a great weight had been lifted from his shoulders. Far more than would be accounted for by the pack itself.

((Shen Liao has acquired a pack!))
Shizai
Officer

Post by Shizai »

Liao smiled and nodded to the old man in gratitude. "Thank you, my friend. I will strive to deliver this to Master Lun Qian swiftly." He accepted the pack from the man, which seemed... a bit heavier than he had hoped to account for, but it was no big deal. "By the way, before I depart I believe it's only appropriate of me to ask you honestly. You mentioned that this is a family heirloom; it seems to have a very peculiar shape to it. Might I ask what it is?"

ann
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ann »

The old man shrugged slightly and said, "It was wrapped when my master gave it to me. I think it is bamboo. My master collected writings ... many were burned .. years ago." He shook his head and said, "I know little of these things."