A tale of two brothers

Naxr
Colonel

Re: A tale of two brothers

Postby Naxr » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:54 pm

Enough have already died, Yu Daoshi thought to herself. She looked over the fallen men, those on the field of battle and those now bound before her and her fellow generals. Her eyes went to each in turn, guessing at their thoughts. Of what brought them to serve Luo Bei. Of the battle. Of the men who squirmed before them right now, more or less resigned to whatever fate awaited them. Her eyes fell to the men below her. Mercenaries, like me. No need for their blood to settle this family quarrel.

"So, what say we?" her voiced directed at her comrades in arms. "Shall we strike these men down? Let their blood fertilize this ground with the men they fought alongside, with the fallen of those we commanded? The battle is over. What is to be gained by spilling yet more blood?
What's to be gained? The earth looks fairly sated to me. The flowers will soon grow, enough human flesh to nourish their growth. Besides, this isn't about them," she motioned with her head towards Ji Song, Liu Quan and Chen Ping. "This is about the brother. If he is left alive, we might very well be back here next month, shedding more blood. The others might as well be let go with their surviving troops. The brother's head can go to Luo Bei."

After her proposal, she stood silently, her eyes on her fellow officers for what they might offer.

rcsha
The Butcher

Postby rcsha » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:00 pm

Hu Jing watched the scene unfold, toying with one of his knives. He jumped a little as Luo Jian attacked his brother. It all answered his question, though: Luo Bei was offered a promotion to court, Jian had him maimed, Bei raised a revolt against him. He watched as the soldiers seemed hesitant to follow orders to execute the prisoners.
As the woman spoke he plopped off his makeshift stool.
"Oy, oy...I'm taking care of bitey before he gets more antsy." He stepped forward and drove a knife into Luo Jian's neck; after all, gotta follow orders, right? He glanced at the soldiers. "You gents seem a little lily-livered, but I don't blame you."
He faced the woman and turned his gaze to the rest of the people he fought alongside. "How about everyone get out and I handle these chumps? I grew up as a butcher, so cutting things up won't bring me pause."
He eyed the prisoners hungrily, fiddling with his knives. "You all could use a shave. And I just so happened to be a barber."
"You ladies and gents don't need to watch, either." He looked at the cohorts with him who had also fought against Luo Jian. "The boss man who's paying us said to do something, and I don't want to risk not getting paid by refusing him. I don't mind doing the dirty work - I won't even ask for extra above you folks, so don't worry about it."

Phailak
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Phailak » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:45 pm

Lai hung back in the shadows of the people around the prisoners. He winced when Jian attacked his younger brother and shrugged when Jian was stabbed in the throat but things had escalated quickly and were not improving. Despite his better judgment, he figured he better step in.

"Hey butcher, relax with the knife will ya?"

Stepping forth, he shared a look with Quan, a we're about to be even look.

"Listen, I'm all for being paid and all that but the lady's got a point. The order was given under duress, guy had a chunk of him bitten out and it's bullshit anyway. I rather these men owe us their lives than collect whatever reward you were promised. Bei ain't swimming in men, I doubt he'd risk going against us for something that isn't right in the first place, he still has to run the village which is what I suspect he wants the most. Tell you what, you can even tell Chief Luo I released them, I can deal with him, but no more killing for today."

Lai was in no way an imposing figure, but his silvery tongue held a threat with the biggest of men and it was in no veiled here.

rcsha
The Butcher

Postby rcsha » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:06 pm

Hu Jing twirled the knife in his hand muttering about 'liking knives' as Jian bled at his feet. "Barber...don't let the beard fool you, I am a barber."
To be fair he had just offered to gut the whole lot of the captured prisoners. But who's really splitting hairs, right?
"I don't like the idea of letting one of you release them." He pointed at one of the prisoners, at random, with the bloody knife. "Even if we blame you for it, it could sour our payment prospects. Besides, with a lame leg and a chunk of his neck taken out we should do this quick. For all we know the guy will get an infection and die in a few days, or bleed out in a coupl'a hours."
His eyes traced between the girl and the man who wanted to release the prisoners. "I mean, I've got no ill will to these fellows, but I came here to get paid and...I just..."
He slowly turned on the prisoners and a slight smirk began to form. "Buuut...I guess coin is coin."
He pointed at Fei Lai, whose name he did not know off-hand. "The guy there has a point, he probably won't refuse to pay us if we act in unison. So if we make a little extra coin on the side, then even if he begrudges us some pay we could work it out."
Again the knife got pointed to a random prisoner. "There's four of you so..."
He paused and looked at the ever-becoming corpse at his feet, with his knife in it. "Uhh...three."
As if he hadn't missed a beat his tone upped sharply again. "Three of you...if you each give us twenty five taels, I think would offset any penalty Master Luo could hamper us with for letting you go. Whatt'ya say, you got any coin readily available?"

Chen Ping
Major

Postby Chen Ping » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:09 pm

Chen Ping sighed. He swore to avoid capture, having experienced such horror during the Turban rebellion. Certainly, joining this random family feud was not his best decision.

He appreciated the actions of the first and third generals and nodded as they spoke, hopeful others would show similar mercy. When the second offered opposing thoughts, Chen turned motionless and stoic. Remaining silent and calm, he awaited the final verdict.

Anoriand
Most hated man in China

Postby Anoriand » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:43 pm

Quan was kneeling, motionless, when Fei Lai walked up and spoke. His face softened as he realized that life had a funny way of working itself out. After they had deliberated, Quan was the first to respond.

"If 25 coins gives me my life, I'd consider the best money I've ever spent. You can easily have it." He gave a quick glance to Fei Lai as he spoke, nodding to him to make sure he knew that the feeling was mutual on debt having been repayed.

KDS
Lord

Postby KDS » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:49 am

Ji Song grimaced as Luo Jian's life bled out from the sharp blade of his assailant. He didn't care for the man, personally, but the fact that there was more bloodshed even after the battle was over and it seemed just because his assailant enjoyed the action gave the old man a shudder of disgust. It was no different than the days of the university students of old being tortured and assaulted time and again by the Imperial troops and the eunuchs that led them during the early days of Xiaoling.

As the other force's commanders debated with one another, Song's eyes remained on the body of the elder Luo and he couldn't help but wonder if Jian had any idea that this was going to be the end result. No, Song thought to himself, I don't think he did. Song's mind was driven from his self-imposed stupor when he realized he was being addressed, by the assaulter, no less. As he listened, the old man's grimace returned and even as he watched one of his fellows in arms submit himself to his captor's wills, the old man would have none of it.

"You'll not get a single &*$& tael..."

Song cleared his throat and proceeded to hock mucus on the ground in front of him as close to the direction of Hu Jing as he could manage with his bonds, before continuing.

"Not because I don't want to live, because even in my old age I don't feel like ending my life... but because you're the basest scum, feeding off the chaos around you. And my desire to have no part in that overwhelms my desire to live."

Turning his gaze upon the other commanders, Song merely shook his head softly, as if showing sadness and remorse for them.

"We may have served the wrong side, and we have lost. But you who have emerged victorious will lose even more if you allow yourselves to fall to the same evils as your colleague here. Heed this old man's warning well..."

With a last look at his own colleagues tied on the field, Ji Song returned his gaze forward and fell silent once more...

Phailak
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Phailak » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:30 am

Lai rubbed his face, annoyed at how all of this was not settled. He took 75 of his own money and gave it to the butcher.

"Here."

He moved towards the prisoners to free them.

OOC: Two options here, either we continue to RP as the prisoners get free or Hu Jing / someone interferes and I need tactics for a fight (basically just PM what your character does). If prisoners are freed, I will add the 75 gold from my account

rcsha
The Butcher

Postby rcsha » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:12 pm

Hu Jing sheathed his knife and took the coins, making a show of proudly placing them into his small, otherwise empty, leather coin satchel. With that done he redrew his knife and whirled it smoothly in his hand, kneeling down and plunging it into Luo Jian's back as he retrieved his other knife from the dead man's neck.
He stood up, wiping the broadside of one of the knives against his cheek and nodded. "I'll go report to the bossman that the prisoners are dead. Do me a favor and take them out a different path than I'm going, okay?"
With that done he walked out of the tent, whistling, to let the wounded Luo Bei know that his brother was dead - and to lie about his brother's supporters also being dead. And most importantly...to collect his payment for combat services rendered.

Phailak
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Phailak » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:33 pm

OOC: Transaction approved and done.

Return to “Quests”