A tale of two brothers

Phailak
Administrator
Administrator

A tale of two brothers

Postby Phailak » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:20 am

Early January saw a major conflict occur between the Luo brothers in Chenyang. Luo Jian ruled the small outpost for the better part of a decade, relying on the advice of his younger brother Bei. No one yet understands why but in January everything changed as both brothers gathered some troops and would be facing off soon on the field. They both sent forth requests for support from the many vagabond warriors of the land to help them in their battle.

OOC: No limit on how many people sign up for the quest. You can RP with the brothers to see if they will engage you but I will basically try to make it so each one has same amount of officers on each side. Battle will take place on Turn change. To sign up, just RP here and eventually you will be assigned a side. Just make sure you are clear which brother's camp you are visiting.

rcsha
The Butcher

Re: A tale of two brothers

Postby rcsha » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:37 pm

Hu Jing had been fleeing a deal gone wrong when he wound up in the Chenyang area, far from home. I mean really, who could have thought trying to sell a hundred horses to professional horse thieves would turn out poorly, particularly when you had exactly 0 horses? Somehow they had seen through his clever ploy of claiming he had them hidden...in a cave nearby...in a flat grassland area. He'd lost them over a day ago, but now he was woefully lost in territory he wasn't familiar with. By luck, or perhaps lack thereof, he had blundered into the area where Luo Bei was massing his operations.
He caught wind of what was going on and asked around, learning about the little family fallout of the Luo brothers. He learned he was at Luo Bei's headquarters and that said man might be looking for mercenaries. "Ohh really?"
Hu Jing sought out Luo Bei for a meeting.

KDS
Lord

Postby KDS » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:54 pm

"What the blast are those fools doing now?"

Ji Song muttered to himself as he walked along the dirt path he had taken. Even in his old age and solitude, news has spread of the conflict between the Luo brothers. To Song, more internal bloodshed was the last thing that the territory needed. With the repulsion of the forces of the Han scion, things had finally started to quiet down again. But this was putting that ceasefire to the test and he was having none of that.

He didn't know much about the brothers but was aware of Jian's reputation as the head of the outpost since his arrival in the province. What was it this time? Greed for power? For money? For a woman?

"Those idiots..."

Ji Song had seen a lot in his nearly six decades of life. Whatever the reason, it was already dismissed internally by the old man as a foolish one. He wouldn't let his peace be shattered by nonsense like this. Coming upon Chenyang, he inquired into the whereabouts of its head, Luo Jian...

Phailak
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Phailak » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:56 am

rcsha wrote:Hu Jing had been fleeing a deal gone wrong when he wound up in the Chenyang area, far from home. I mean really, who could have thought trying to sell a hundred horses to professional horse thieves would turn out poorly, particularly when you had exactly 0 horses? Somehow they had seen through his clever ploy of claiming he had them hidden...in a cave nearby...in a flat grassland area. He'd lost them over a day ago, but now he was woefully lost in territory he wasn't familiar with. By luck, or perhaps lack thereof, he had blundered into the area where Luo Bei was massing his operations.
He caught wind of what was going on and asked around, learning about the little family fallout of the Luo brothers. He learned he was at Luo Bei's headquarters and that said man might be looking for mercenaries. "Ohh really?"
Hu Jing sought out Luo Bei for a meeting.

Luo Bei was not difficult to find. His command tent was situated near the small village, it was surprising such a small place could host such a camp. He was presented to Bei as soon as he arrived, the man seemed eager to meet the 'volunteers'

"So I hear you wanna be on the right side of this fight huh? Any experience commanding men? I have many soldiers at my disposal but not many commanders..."

KDS wrote:"What the blast are those fools doing now?"

Ji Song muttered to himself as he walked along the dirt path he had taken. Even in his old age and solitude, news has spread of the conflict between the Luo brothers. To Song, more internal bloodshed was the last thing that the territory needed. With the repulsion of the forces of the Han scion, things had finally started to quiet down again. But this was putting that ceasefire to the test and he was having none of that.

He didn't know much about the brothers but was aware of Jian's reputation as the head of the outpost since his arrival in the province. What was it this time? Greed for power? For money? For a woman?

"Those idiots..."

Ji Song had seen a lot in his nearly six decades of life. Whatever the reason, it was already dismissed internally by the old man as a foolish one. He wouldn't let his peace be shattered by nonsense like this. Coming upon Chenyang, he inquired into the whereabouts of its head, Luo Jian...

It was not difficult to find the camp. On either side of the village, which almost stood as a prize between two armies, you could find either brother's camp. It was almost as if two allies were organizing an attack together.

Jian admitted the older man to his tent.

"You wanted to see me?"

He looked the visitor up and down almost as a slave driver would check his merchandise before purchase.

KDS
Lord

Postby KDS » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:04 pm

Phailak wrote:It was not difficult to find the camp. On either side of the village, which almost stood as a prize between two armies, you could find either brother's camp. It was almost as if two allies were organizing an attack together.

Jian admitted the older man to his tent.

"You wanted to see me?"

He looked the visitor up and down almost as a slave driver would check his merchandise before purchase.

Song remained silent as he was directed toward the tent of Luo Jian, mindful to keep an eye on the location he found himself in. Inwardly, he lamented the sight of the armies staged against each other. He had hoped perhaps the rumors of this conflict were exaggerated but it seemed that it would not be the case this time.

Entering into the tent, the old man offered a small bow toward the elder Luo brother, best as his back could provide these days. He may not be one for glad-handing but he still respected some of the customs and decorum taught to him decades ago. Too bad it seemed this Luo brother did not. Wincing slightly, he straightened himself and spoke.

"I did. My name is Ji Song and you must be the village head, Chief Luo. I've heard rumor that Chenyang would be the sight of conflict. Though many rumors are often dispelled quickly it seems this one is not so easily dismissed. But to pit brother against brother? It leaves a poor taste in the mouth. I understand you are seeking support for your cause but can you humor this old man and enlighten him behind the reasons for this potential familial bloodletting?"

Phailak
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Phailak » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:14 pm

The chief in a single gesture probably indicated why there was conflict in the first place, he did not seem to be very smart, how the he ever keep his position so long.

That gesture was one of dismissal after he looked his elder up and down.

"You are no commander, what use can you be to me in this war?"

He looked to his side for a moment, as if looking for the advice of some ghost long dissipated before shaking his head. He seemed to be looking over some maps and though he had them set in the right direction (this would be a relief to any observer) he did not have his troops positioned in the right area as if he failed to recognize where his armies were in relation to the map.

KDS
Lord

Postby KDS » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:12 pm

Phailak wrote:The chief in a single gesture probably indicated why there was conflict in the first place, he did not seem to be very smart, how the he ever keep his position so long.

That gesture was one of dismissal after he looked his elder up and down.

"You are no commander, what use can you be to me in this war?"

He looked to his side for a moment, as if looking for the advice of some ghost long dissipated before shaking his head. He seemed to be looking over some maps and though he had them set in the right direction (this would be a relief to any observer) he did not have his troops positioned in the right area as if he failed to recognize where his armies were in relation to the map.

Song outwardly frowned at Jian's gesture but refrained from speaking immediately. Instead he gave thought to the predicament before him. He had originally thought this was a conflict of greed but perhaps it was something different. A proving of sorts? Song's eyes fell upon Jian first as he looked to the side and then to the map. The old man's eyes traced the map for a few moments and imperceptibly nodded his head ever so slightly. Returning his gaze back to the elder Luo, he offered a small chuckle, one that he used every so often when the local kids near his hut would stop by and ask to hear his stories of long ago.

"There is a difference, Chief Luo, in a commander and a warrior. True, you won't see me swinging swords on the battlefield. This old body of mine could probably barely lift one these days. But while a warrior focuses on defeating the man in front of him and worries about the man behind him, the commander focuses on the larger battlefield."

Quick memories flash in front of Song's eyes, glints of swords and the sounds of arrow volleys were seen and heard. Pivoting to continue his conversation, he gestured with his hand toward the map.

"That is what you are trying to do here, is it not? Looking upon the battlefield, the greater goals in mind. But no commander leads alone. Guangwu had Deng Yu, Gaozu had Zhang Liang, Qin Shi Huang had Wang Jian."

Gesturing now as a wordless request for permission to lay hands on the map, if granted, Song quietly but quickly repositioned the troop figures to their correct locations on the map. After doing so, he would take a step back and fold his hands back within his robe's sleeves.

"Now, I am none of those men. You asked what use I could be to you in this war. Little, if any, Chief Luo if this old man is being honest. Truthfully, my hope is that there can be found an end to this quarrel before blood need be shed."

Phailak
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Phailak » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:31 pm

The village chief seemed annoyed at first from the words presented to him to his little peons being moved around.

"Maybe... you are right. Will you help me then, to... plan this out? Battle is inevitable."

He said the last word with such finality that all hope for a peaceful resolution faded immediately.

rcsha
The Butcher

Postby rcsha » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:56 pm

Phailak wrote:Luo Bei was not difficult to find. His command tent was situated near the small village, it was surprising such a small place could host such a camp. He was presented to Bei as soon as he arrived, the man seemed eager to meet the 'volunteers'

"So I hear you wanna be on the right side of this fight huh? Any experience commanding men? I have many soldiers at my disposal but not many commanders..."

Hu Jing scratched his chin through his thick beard 0 oh what he wouldn't give for the chance to get a proper shave in. "Well...I've never commanded more than a hundred at once before, but it was mostly ambushing operations I was involved in so large numbers were antithetical to my goals."
Yeah, that was a pretty good way to describe banditry without outright admitting you robbed and murdered people for a living.
"I'm good with a blade, willing to use it." He paused and tapped his lower lip curiously. "Uhh, you said the right side this fight. Can I ask what exactly this fight is about? Somebody said you're going to war with your elder brother, right?"
Before the man could respond Hu Jing chuckled. "I mean, I don't really care what your motivations are if you're handing out coin for good service, I'm just a naturally curious guy."

Phailak
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Phailak » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:01 pm

Hu Jing

"Good enough."

He seemed to ignore everything else that was said, he seemed like he was eternally upset.

"100 gold if you survive the battle."

He kept rubbing his left leg as he spoke.

Return to “Quests”