To Depose a Predator

Shen Feng
Colonel

Re: To Depose a Predator

Postby Shen Feng » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:12 am

If the Wu officers had any concerns over Fei Lai's threats, they didn't seem to show it. Fair enough, as far as Feng cared, because he wasn't really concerned himself. He didn't return Lu Xun's salute, instead just nodding his agreement.

"Aye, I'll be on it right away. I gave my word, I ain't gonna go back on that. Where I come from, man's word means something." It seemed like the other would-be candidates had all filed out by now as well. His offer might have fallen on deaf ears, but that just meant he'd have to roll up his sleeves and work twice as hard.

"I'll meet with yer Captain outside the village, and we'll go from there."

Lu Meng
New Recruit

Re: To Depose a Predator

Postby Lu Meng » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:18 pm

Some days after the battle for Huarong, Ma Zhong returned to Jiangling to make his report. After bathing and dressing himself appropriately, the captain found Lu Meng and saluted firmly.

"General, Huarong is not yet liberated. We dealt massive casualties to Ning Yi's forces, but they remain firm in the village and have no relinquished control. In turn, Shen Feng's forces sustained casualties of their own. They're at a bit of an impasse," the mustachioed officer reported. One would expect unpleasant news to be delivered with a little more tension and care, but such was not the case with Ma Zhong, it seemed.

For a time, Lu Meng sat silently considering his subordinate's report. No expressions, just blinking eyes and silence.

At last, he replied, "Understood."

Ma Zhong crossed his arms and stared at Lu Meng a moment before shooting back, "Really? That's it? 'Understood'? Jeez, aren't you supposed to get pissed off and yell or something? We didn't take the village..."

At this, Lu Meng's eyes widened with disbelief as he shouted, "What fool of an officer asks to be beaten?!"

The guards tensed visibly, gripping their spears tightly. A silence washed over the room. At last, both men began chuckling. After a brief moment, the laughter died down and Lu Meng waved a hand dismissively.

"Shen Feng has shown great tenacity and courage. If he continues the assault rather than flees, even more so. I knew it wouldn't be an easy task, otherwise I would've sent you with an army weeks ago. Ning Yi will not relinquish the village easily, and we simply don't have the time or resources to invest with Guan Yu and Cao Ren watching us closely," Lu Meng explained, "I believe Shen Feng will see it done. If I didn't, I would've sent Fei Lai down to kill Ning Yi himself and deliver the village to us, or one of the other applicants. However, it is better to allow honorable men the chance to make their mark than act in haste. I believe Shen Feng will prove to be that sort of man."

Ma Zhong shook his head and shrugged as he said, "Whatever, General. He seemed like a good guy, but I don't know...I think you're putting a lot of trust in a guy we don't really know. Still...I'll, uh...leave it to your judgment, I guess. I won't pretend to know what you're thinking, but I know that you know better than I know."

With an audible sigh, Lu Xun chimed in from the side, "You two are utterly ridiculous..."

[Quest Complete! Though Shen Feng wasn't able to liberate Huarong, he did receive a troop bonus from Lu Meng for the attempt, along with a free NPC to oversee a layer during said battle. Henceforth, Shen Feng will be viewed as friendly by Wu officers under Lu Meng!]

Return to “Quests”