Jiangling - Lu Meng's Audience Hall

Shen Feng
Colonel

Re: Jiangling - Lu Meng's Audience Hall

Postby Shen Feng » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:50 pm

"Aw, shucks. Yer gonna brag about me? I dunno that I've done much worth braggin' about, yet. But gimme time." Taking an orange from the pile of fruit, Feng began to peel it, leaving the rind on the table as he popped the pieces into his mouth one by one.

"I don't intend to pick a fight I can't win, don't worry 'bout that. I'm gonna need to find out 'bout these others runnin' 'round, see what their goals are. I mean, none of 'em ain't gonna challenge ya, or either of the other big kingdoms. They're small fry, like me. But they got their ambitions, I'm sure, else they'd be sittin' home doin' embroidery. But they're gonna hafta pick a side to reach those ambitions. And they ain't all gonna pick our side." Pushing himself back away from the table, he turned and began to pace across the hall. Making contacts was going to be quite a bit different from just trying to capture the village. When Lu Meng had chosen him to lead the attack on Huarong, the other candidates had all left, some of them in rather hostile fashion. Had any of them since enjoyed the success he had?

Lu Meng
New Recruit

Postby Lu Meng » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:14 pm

Sima Yi wrote:Though Yi displayed an innocent smile to accompany his shrug, he could not hide the entertainment in his eyes.

"Who am I to understand your Lord's thoughts? More importantly, who are you to question them? Perhaps this is what is best for the folks down south, war is not for everyone. In the end, what we do, do we not do for the people?"

Though Yi's face remained stoic, there was some arrogance in his demeanour.

Unlike Sima Yi, Lu Meng had grown up as a warrior. He had spend his whole adult life fighting for the Sun clan; first under Sun Ce, who had essentially spared his life and given him purpose, and then Sun Quan, who opened his eyes to the larger world beyond simply swinging a sword or halberd. Lu Meng owed his life to the Sun clan. To hear that the King of Wei was sending terms of submission to Sun Quan...it was unbearable.

But was it selfishness that made him so unable to believe Sima Yi's words? Was it really a love for the Sun clan, or was it simply the stubbornness of a general who had sacrificed scores of men in the war against Liu Bei and Cao Cao? Ziming pondered the situation a moment, trying to ascertain the truth of the matter. As passionate as he could be, he was no longer a simple soldier...he was the grand general in charge of the Sun clan's military.

At last, Lu Meng dislodged the sword from the table and sheathed it once more. Shaking his head, he announced, "There will be no terms. The Chancellor unjustly invaded the Southlands, being turned back by my predecessors and my lord Sun Quan. Now that we've devoted our military to the war against the Chancellor's own enemy, he sends his relative Cao Ren to try to benefit from our preoccupation and make war against us, being repelled and left sitting in his castle. The King of Wei has made his intentions very clear. He has no regard for the Southlands beyond a land to conquer."

Pointing to Sima Yi, he said in a growl, "Take this response to whichever Cao you deem fit. If they take issue with it, tell them to come South once more and try their luck. My lord will not grovel to a man who constantly tries to conquer our people. He wouldn't accept it and I won't allow it."

"Now get the hell out of Jiangling, before I do the sensible thing and send your head back to your Chancellor," the general warned, giving a half-hearted and obviously sarcastic salute of farewell.

Shen Feng wrote:"Aw, shucks. Yer gonna brag about me? I dunno that I've done much worth braggin' about, yet. But gimme time." Taking an orange from the pile of fruit, Feng began to peel it, leaving the rind on the table as he popped the pieces into his mouth one by one.

"I don't intend to pick a fight I can't win, don't worry 'bout that. I'm gonna need to find out 'bout these others runnin' 'round, see what their goals are. I mean, none of 'em ain't gonna challenge ya, or either of the other big kingdoms. They're small fry, like me. But they got their ambitions, I'm sure, else they'd be sittin' home doin' embroidery. But they're gonna hafta pick a side to reach those ambitions. And they ain't all gonna pick our side." Pushing himself back away from the table, he turned and began to pace across the hall. Making contacts was going to be quite a bit different from just trying to capture the village. When Lu Meng had chosen him to lead the attack on Huarong, the other candidates had all left, some of them in rather hostile fashion. Had any of them since enjoyed the success he had?

"Small fries could end up being powerful. You never know," Lu Meng said with a smile and a shrug, "After all, when our lord's elder brother got his start, he was simply a man with a small borrowed army. He laid the foundation for the veritable kingdom the Sun clan now protects."

The general took another drink before saying, "Regardless, be careful. Jing is in a state of chaos. We'll need to be smart about how we proceed. The Cao lapdogs and Guan Yu's remnants are just watching and waiting for us to run into a setback. If you happened to meet anyone out there who wants what we want - a Jingzhou under a rightful and caring rule - be sure to send them my way. We'll need all the help we can get, with all the fanatics and fools out there, making war for their own gain."

Sima Yi
New Recruit

Postby Sima Yi » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:59 pm

Lu Meng wrote:
Unlike Sima Yi, Lu Meng had grown up as a warrior. He had spend his whole adult life fighting for the Sun clan; first under Sun Ce, who had essentially spared his life and given him purpose, and then Sun Quan, who opened his eyes to the larger world beyond simply swinging a sword or halberd. Lu Meng owed his life to the Sun clan. To hear that the King of Wei was sending terms of submission to Sun Quan...it was unbearable.

But was it selfishness that made him so unable to believe Sima Yi's words? Was it really a love for the Sun clan, or was it simply the stubbornness of a general who had sacrificed scores of men in the war against Liu Bei and Cao Cao? Ziming pondered the situation a moment, trying to ascertain the truth of the matter. As passionate as he could be, he was no longer a simple soldier...he was the grand general in charge of the Sun clan's military.

At last, Lu Meng dislodged the sword from the table and sheathed it once more. Shaking his head, he announced, "There will be no terms. The Chancellor unjustly invaded the Southlands, being turned back by my predecessors and my lord Sun Quan. Now that we've devoted our military to the war against the Chancellor's own enemy, he sends his relative Cao Ren to try to benefit from our preoccupation and make war against us, being repelled and left sitting in his castle. The King of Wei has made his intentions very clear. He has no regard for the Southlands beyond a land to conquer."

Pointing to Sima Yi, he said in a growl, "Take this response to whichever Cao you deem fit. If they take issue with it, tell them to come South once more and try their luck. My lord will not grovel to a man who constantly tries to conquer our people. He wouldn't accept it and I won't allow it."

"Now get the hell out of Jiangling, before I do the sensible thing and send your head back to your Chancellor," the general warned, giving a half-hearted and obviously sarcastic salute of farewell.

Yi's smile turned into a raised eyebrow of curiosity.

"Well, that sure is an interesting response. I would..."

At that moment, a messenger from Sima Yi's camp arrived and requested to speak with his commander.

Clearing his throat, Yi looked to his hosts for permission to consult with the man before leaving.

Lu Meng
New Recruit

Postby Lu Meng » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:13 pm

Sima Yi wrote:Yi's smile turned into a raised eyebrow of curiosity.

"Well, that sure is an interesting response. I would..."

At that moment, a messenger from Sima Yi's camp arrived and requested to speak with his commander.

Clearing his throat, Yi looked to his hosts for permission to consult with the man before leaving.

Lu Meng bit his lip, clenching his fists. As the messenger spoke, he could simply stand there and wait, though there was little chance the man's words would mean much to the current situation.

At Sima Yi's expression, Ziming sighed and waved for him to proceed with his messenger. Lu Meng could feel his chest getting tighter the angrier he got with the situation. All he could do was try to calm himself through the emotion. The last thing he wanted to do was have another coughing fit in front of an enemy - enemy - envoy.

Sima Yi
New Recruit

Postby Sima Yi » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:41 pm

Yi nodded as the messenger related his news. His face was a mask, but at the end, his smile returned.

"General, some urgent news must take me away from our... negotiations. I understand your position, a man in your... condition..."

Shaking his head, Yi lifted a hand as if requesting a moment.

"Apologies, that is not the right word to use. Someone in your predicament, cannot be expected to provide a thoughtful decision."

He seemed unsatisfied with his phrasing.

"I have received some distracting news, please do not hold this against me."

He made semblance to leave, then waited to make sure he would be permitted. What was strange is the smile never left his face, a complete contrast to the words that he spoke.

Mardagg
GameBreaker

Postby Mardagg » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:38 am

Lu Meng wrote:Lu Meng read the scroll intensely, stroking his short beard as he did so. Once he was done, he handed the scroll back and chuckled.

"Chosen one destined to rule the land, huh? In that case, I'm God-Emperor of the Heavens and Earth. If you ask me, it looks like someone's parents didn't swat him on the backside enough as a child," the general commented.

Tilting his head and nodding, he added, "He's bold, I'll admit, but...wow. It's...disturbing...that the situation in Jing has devolved so much that a delusional teenager has garnered so much support. This is what happens when order is disrupted by greedy forces."

He tapped his table with his index finger lightly, thinking on the situation a moment. He looked wordlessly toward Lu Xun and exchanged a few glances, but it was kept fairly silent in the room for a moment.

At last, he said, "Well, if your lord wishes to support Lord Sun and the Sun clan, I'll accept it. Honestly, if the kid didn't claim he had a divine right to rule these lands, I'd chalk it up to small fish, but...obviously, I have a very distinct issue with a third person disputing Lord Sun's rightful claim to Jingzhou."

The large man sighed, scrunching his nose a bit as he thought about the matter. Again, he was still commander of one of the largest forces in the Empire, but he only had so much at his disposal. As impractical and unrealistic as it was, he couldn't help but wishing he had the numbers they had when they first marched against Guan Yu. Now that was an army. Now, however?

"All I can give you right now is advice and our pledge of support. Obviously, with Cao Ren down the road up north and that red-faced pain in my ass to the west, we're stuck in a stalemate," Ziming explained, "But my advice? Gather your troops, your officers, and everything you have. Let the boy wear himself out and score his hollow victories. When a flame tries to burn brighter than it should, it tends to burn out quickly. Once you have your resources, pick your targets and attack. Take everything he has."

Tapping his temple, Lu Meng said, "If his support stems from here, break their will. If it stems from money, hit his holdings. If it stems from military strength, pick your battles and make it count. Wars of attrition are boring, but if you can obtain a secure base and the tide turns against him...better a boring victory than an exciting defeat."

Laughing, he pointed to the scroll once more and commented, "Honestly, he even threatened anyone who didn't follow him to battle. I know arithmetic is a tricky subject for some, but by my count, that's a lot of enemies. Drawing a line in the sand against the whole of the province isn't the wisest strategy, in my opinion..."

I am glad that you accept our support to the Sun clan: we will accomplish a lot toghetter! If I may ask : is there any other general who came to support Lord Sun? There as been quite a few attack against town and village in the past month and is hard to know wich banner support our cause .

Lu Meng
New Recruit

Postby Lu Meng » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:08 pm

Sima Yi wrote:Yi nodded as the messenger related his news. His face was a mask, but at the end, his smile returned.

"General, some urgent news must take me away from our... negotiations. I understand your position, a man in your... condition..."

Shaking his head, Yi lifted a hand as if requesting a moment.

"Apologies, that is not the right word to use. Someone in your predicament, cannot be expected to provide a thoughtful decision."

He seemed unsatisfied with his phrasing.

"I have received some distracting news, please do not hold this against me."

He made semblance to leave, then waited to make sure he would be permitted. What was strange is the smile never left his face, a complete contrast to the words that he spoke.

Lu Meng nodded, motioning that Sima Yi had his permission to leave.

"I won't 'kill the messenger'," he said, looking rather exhausted with the subject. With that, he said nothing more, but it was clear he was physically taxed.

With the King of Wei's envoy given his leave, Lu Meng saw fit to sit back down and motioned for a cup of water. This was shaping up to be a rough day...

Mardagg wrote:I am glad that you accept our support to the Sun clan: we will accomplish a lot toghetter! If I may ask : is there any other general who came to support Lord Sun? There as been quite a few attack against town and village in the past month and is hard to know wich banner support our cause .

Nodding, Lu Meng answered, "Shen Feng was made a Corporal in the Sun army recently. He cleared Huarong of bandits, and Maicheng back under our control. I know Jing is in a state of chaos, but I would prefer you work together, or at least remain on amiable terms should you encounter one another."

The large commander coughed a bit, but shrugged it off.

"He has performed admirably and shown great resolve. You have come to me of your own volition, to offer your own loyalty to our lord, Sun Quan. Provided both yourself and Shen Feng are truly loyal to Lord Sun, this should make you natural allies. From what I understand, your governed territories are not so far from his. With the Wei lackey, Cao Ren, sending little attack dogs of his own, it is in our best interest to appreciate those who follow the same path," the general professed.

Mardagg
GameBreaker

Postby Mardagg » Wed May 24, 2017 12:31 am

As soon as the city of Xiangyang fall and Cao Ren retreated Ma Dieu sent his loyal follower with haste to bring the news to Lu Meng in the south. Few days later a small group of horsemen approached the audience hall in Jiangling. A man dismounted and approached the guards. "Greetings! I am Mang Yue, representant of General Ma Dieu I came here today with great news to your lord about the siege of the city of Xiangyang''.

Lu Meng
New Recruit

Postby Lu Meng » Wed May 31, 2017 1:00 pm

The guards looked to each other and shrugged, opening the doors and gesturing for the man to enter.

Inside, Lu Meng sat, going over his large map of Northern Jing. The pieces on the map looked different than they had been in the months prior. The large lord was visibly concerned, his brow furrowed as he sat and analyzed the status of the region based on his little tokens as they represented forces.

"You have news for me, I hear?" Ziming echoed, "By all means, speak."

Mardagg
GameBreaker

Postby Mardagg » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:21 am

Lu Meng wrote:The guards looked to each other and shrugged, opening the doors and gesturing for the man to enter.

Inside, Lu Meng sat, going over his large map of Northern Jing. The pieces on the map looked different than they had been in the months prior. The large lord was visibly concerned, his brow furrowed as he sat and analyzed the status of the region based on his little tokens as they represented forces.

"You have news for me, I hear?" Ziming echoed, "By all means, speak."

''The city of Xiangyang has Fallen and Cao Ren's forces have fleed and are no more a treath in the region. Lord Ma Dieu is securing the city as we speak, but feared that Cao Ren supporters might try to regain the city.'' Mang Yue waited to see what would Lu Meng say.

Return to “Audience Halls”